The uCAM (microCAM) is a highly integrated serial camera module which can be attached to any host system that requires a video camera or a JPEG compressed still camera for embedded imaging applications.
The module uses an OmniVision CMOS VGA colour sensor along with a JPEG compression chip that provides a low cost and low powered camera system. The module has an on-board Serial interface (TTL levels) that is suitable for a direct connection to any host micro-controller UART.
User commands are sent using a simple serial protocol that can instruct the camera to send low resolution (160x120 or 80x60) single frame raw images for a quick viewing or high resolution (640x480 or 320x240) JPEG images for storage or viewing.
The uCAM comes in a compact form factor with a built in lens and a 4-wire connector that provides easy access to both power and serial data.
- Small size, low cost and low powered camera module for embedded imaging applications.
- 3.3V DC Supply @62mA.
- On-board EEPROM provides a command-based interface to external host via TTL levels serial link.
- UART: up to 115.2Kbps for transferring JPEG still pictures or 160x128 preview images with 0.75fps.
- On board OmniVision OV7640/8 VGA colour sensor and JPEG CODEC for various resolutions.
- Built-in down sampling, clamping and windowing circuits for VGA, QVGA, 160x120 or 80x60 image resolutions.
- Built-in colour conversion circuits for 2-bit gray, 4-bit gray, 8-bit gray, 12-bit RGB, 16-bit RGB or standard JPEG preview images.
- No external DRAM required.
- General purpose embedded imaging and control.
- Security systems.
- Access Control systems.
- Elevator and Remote monitoring.
- Robot vision, object detection and recognition.
- Industrial control.
- Medical systems.
- Smart Home systems.
- Video intercoms.
- Electronic Toys and Learning systems.